The Ergosphere
Sunday, May 14, 2006
 

Who you are

I recently put a Sitemeter hit counter down at the bottom of the page.  You may or may not have noticed it.  I did it because the TTLB Ecosystem stuff no longer works without it, and I have never seen what kind of referrals bring people here.

Man, were my eyes opened!

About 60-70% of all hits are of unknown origin or come from the main blog page, but the remaining 30% come through links to specific posts.  Some of the referrals surprised me; today, someone clicked through from a page on Wikipedia (which I did not know existed, though I'm glad they found "Zinc: miracle metal?" useful), and someone else came from a Livejournal page written in Russian (and even more interesting, an IP address in Israel; I'd love to know both what that says and who found it interesting).

The Google stats only told me how many people clicked in each day.  Sitemeter tells me that some of you have found The Ergosphere to be not merely useful, but reference-worthy.  This pleases me more than you could know.

I've been slacking lately, but I'll try to get back to writing more stuff you can use.

 
Comments:
FWIW, almost 40% of hits today are to the FAQ, apparently due to my one reference to the EROEI of wind turbines at The Oil Drum.
 
For me, it's more like 70 % of my hits go to specific posts. For exampele my post on solar thermal-absorption cooling gets a ton of hits. It's like there's dicussion groups of some of my posts that I'm not even aware of.
 
How many of your hits come from search engines?  I doubt I've ever seen fewer than 5 per group of 20 save for the spate of hits on the FAQ.
 
Those site meters are very cool. I will notice a big uptick in traffic, and I can see where it came from. I think most of the referrals of unknown origin are from people who have your site bookmarked.

RR
 
I get a ton of hits from Yahoo and Google actually. Out of the last twenty hits ten were from search engines. I find it interesting that my posts show up so highly on google for given keywords. Since blogger is owned by google I wonder if they're pushing up the relevance score for blogspot webpages.

I wish I could view comments to my blog in chronological order from the dashboard. I often get comments on posts months old.

RR: unknown origins will either be people with javascript disabled or who didn't follow a hyperlink to your site (i.e. bookmark or type the address into the bar).
 
I find it interesting that my posts show up so highly on google for given keywords.

I have had the same experience. Sometimes, it will be something so common that it is hard to believe my site showed up on the first page of the Google search. A phrase as simple as butanol product process puts me on the first page.

Also, for some reason when people misspell biodiesel in some common phrases, my site turns up. But I have searched, and I don't have it misspelled anywhere.

RR
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Talk largely about energy and work, but also politics and other random thoughts


Mail Engineer-Poet

(If you're mailing a question, is it already in the FAQ?)

Important links

The FAQ
Glossary
The Reference Library

Blogchild of

Armed and Dangerous

Blogparent of

R-Squared




The best prospect for our energy future:
Flibe Energy

ARCHIVES
January 1990 / February 2004 / March 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / October 2011 / April 2013 / November 2013 / December 2013 / January 2014 / February 2014 / March 2014 / April 2014 / July 2014 / August 2014 / September 2014 / October 2014 / November 2014 / February 2015 / April 2015 / October 2015 / March 2016 / April 2016 / May 2016 / June 2016 / July 2016 / November 2016 / December 2016 /


Powered by Blogger

RSS feed

Visits since 2006/05/11: