How do I hate Yahoo's "improvements"? Let me count the ways:
- Yahoo upends the way Mail operates with no rhyme or reason. For instance, my mail folders used to open to the most recent messages, in time-stamp ascending order. For a while, folders opened to the oldest messages instead, with no option to change this without also changing the order of presentation. Now it's changed back.
- Yahoo completely changed the way the UI works, breaking several normal browser features in the process, and removing any option to switch it back. Several methods I use to manage my mail efficiently are partially or completely defeated by these changes, and it takes me far longer to do what I need to do. For instance, the new AJAX code causes control-click to open the selected link in the current tab as well as a new tab. This makes it very slow to open a series of folders or related messages in tabs, because one has to right-click the link, wait for the menu to display, then click "Open link in new tab".
- Yahoo appears not to listen to problem reports from customers. Yahoo DOES NOT CARE that this is a problem.
- Long-standing problems remain. For instance, if a user turns off site-selected colors and backgrounds (to make pages more readable), lots of icons fail to display in e.g. message composition. Re-enabling colors is not acceptable.
- Customer support is universally incompetent and dismisses problems for spurious reasons. Faced with a report of a problem which is clearly due to changes at Yahoo, they blow off a user for "using an unsupported operating system". Never mind that the problem is exactly the same under Windows - they don't ask.
There are also problems with certain of mail's servers; many pages fail to load without several retries. This is bad enough, but the new AJAX code hides these failures so they do nothing; there are no error presentations to tell the user to try again. This is very irritating.
Yahoo, PLEASE stop "fixing" things that aren't broken. I despise the policies of your major competitors in this market, but if you can't stop crippling me every time I turn around I'm going to be forced to switch to one of them.